In 1945 John Milne received a scholarship to Salford Royal Technical College to study electrical engineering. After one year he moved to the School of Art at Salford where he studied art for four years and sculpture for the following two. In 1952, after further studies in France and Greece, Milne returned to England and moved to St Ives where he worked as an unpaid apprentice to Barbara Hepworth working with her assistant Denis Mitchell. In 1957 he purchased Trewyn House, a large property in St Ives which provided him with studio space and a view to the sea below.
Annual exhibitions at Penwith Society of Arts and Newlyn Art Gallery from 1956 were followed by Crane Gallery, Manchester (1959), Marjorie Parr Gallery, (1969 & 1972), Plymouth City Art Gallery (1971),Compass Gallery, Glasgow (1973), Stroms Gallery, Gothenburg (1974), Wills Lane Gallery (1975 & 1977) and Saltram House Plymouth in 1977. Public Collections include Tate Gallery London, Arts Council of Great Britain, Government Art Collection, Manchester City Art Gallery, Plymouth City Art Gallery and the Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art.
signed with initials and dated 1974
number 1 from an edition of 6
London, Marjorie Parr Gallery, John Milne Sculpture and Drawings, 4 - 26 October 1974, cat no 16
Lynette Forsdyke-Crofts, Reflections of a Sculptor, Innocom Ltd, 1998, artist ref JM148, page 107
Peter Davies, The Sculpture of John Milne, Belgrave Gallery, 2000, artist's ref JM148, page 85 (another cast)
Cast in an edition of six, Cylindrical Form is one of a number of works in which Milne experimented with the idea of the figure functioning as a quasi-architectural totem. In terms of sales and recognition, 1974 was the most successful year of Milnes’ St Ives-based career.