Terry Frost first began to paint as a prisoner of war. Returning to England, he received an ex-serviceman's grant and attended Camberwell School of Art from 1947 to 1950. He went on to teach at the Bath Academy of Art at Corsham from 1952, and was the Gregory Fellow at Leeds University 1954 to 1956, teaching at Leeds School of Art from 1956 to 1957. He was Artist in Residence at Newcastle University in 1964, became a full time lecturer Reading University 1965, and went on to become Professor of Painting at the University of Reading from 1977 to 1981. His first one-man show was held at the Leicester Galleries in 1952 and he continued to exhibit regularly in London thereafter.
Frost's first international one-man show was held in 1961 at the Bertha Schaeffer Gallery, New York. A retrospective exhibition of his work was held at the Mayor Gallery, London in 1990 and in 2000 a major retrospective, Terry Frost: Six Decades was held at the Royal Academy of Arts, London. Frost participated in many group shows from 1953, and his work is held in many corporate and private collections throughout the world. He was elected Royal Academician 1992 and received a knighthood in 1998.
signed and dated 1979
The Artist's Estate
Terry Frost used the fluidity of gouache to exceptional effect in Spring. The “S” motif can be traced back through his extensive oeuvre to the St Ives painting SS9 painted in 1962-63. Reminiscent of his spiral symbols the repetition of the letter “S” leads the viewer into the exploration of symbols.